What is Umbrella Insurance?Umbrella Insurance provides an additional layer of personal liability protection. A single policy covers all underlying policies you own (auto, home, motorcycle, boat, etc.) and kicks in if the liability limits on these policies are exhausted. And compared to the risk of a catastrophic event, Liberty Mutual Umbrella Insurance is affordable; for about a dollar a day1, you can have the peace of mind that comes with $1 million in coverage. An auto policy with Liberty Mutual Insurance with a minimum liability limit is required to purchase a personal umbrella policy.
Who should consider Umbrella Insurance?Umbrella Insurance is for everyone. Even if you don't own a home or have a lot in the bank, if you are found liable for damages, your earnings, retirement savings, or college fund could be in jeopardy.
A costly accident could happen to anyone. For instance, a repairman slips on stairs while exiting your home, resulting in a jury award for injuries and lost wages in excess of your home insurance liability.
Personal umbrella protection adds and extends liability coverages and pays for damages and expenses for which you, or covered family members, may be liable due to auto accidents, home accidents, or recreational vehicle accidents.
With personal Umbrella Insurance, you receive
- $1 million in coverage, with higher limits available.
- Additional liability coverage over the limits of your auto, home or recreational vehicle policy.
- Protection from liability claims not normally covered under your home policy, such as libel or slander.
- Payment of defense costs, attorney fees and other expenses associated with a lawsuit, even if the lawsuit is frivolous or groundless.
- Coverage for you and residents of your household insured under the policy.